My husband and I are the kind of people who love to read the labels on all food products and quite often we find ourselves comparing the nutrients of same products by different brands. And the most common ingredient which turns us both off is SUGAR.
I would not say that we live sugar-free, quite the contrary, but we try to minimise the amount and get it only from natural sources.
Peanut butter is a staple for us when it comes to breakfast and after trying the homemade peanut butter at one of our friend’s place, we finally decided to make our own, without anything extra in it.
This recipe only requires one ingredient and that is unsalted raw peanuts. If you like you peanut butter a little salty, you can also add a pinch of salt in it. So let’s get straight to the recipe.
- Raw peanuts
- salt (optional)
- mixer (any ordinary mixer will work)
- If you get the raw peanuts unshelled in a supermarket (unsalted), that’s the easiest way. If not, unshell the peanuts and remove the skin from the peanuts. If it doesn’t come off easy, dont worry, it will come off after roasting. I bought the one from a German Supermarket Rewe (https://shop.rewe.de/p/erdnuesse-jumbo-400g/2491277)
- Once you got your peanuts ready, next step is to roast them, either in the oven or directly in a pan on your stove.
- If you want to roast them in oven, spread the peanuts on a baking sheet evenly, heat the over to 180°c and roast them for 10-15 minutes until you can smell the roasted peanuts. Don’t forget to move the peanuts in between to roast them evenly on all sides. Don’t let them burn.
- If you don’t want to go the oven way, you can do it directly on a stove in a pan on medium heat. Put the peanuts in a pan and roast them by constantly stirring in a dry pan until they look roasted and you can smell it.
- Let the peanuts cool down. If you were not able to remove the shell before, now it should be easy once they are roasted.
- Now put the peanuts in the mixer jar and grind it in steps by scrapping the stuck peanuts on the walls of the jar. In the beginning it might not look like peanut butter but here patient is the key. You need to grind it until the peanuts start losing the oil.
- If you want your peanut butter salty, now is the time to add it and give grinding another swirl. And now your peanut butter should be ready to enjoy.
See it was not at all difficult to make your healthy peanut butter. You can fill the peanut butter in an air tight jar and keep in a cool and dry place.Follow us on social media: